It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NEW ALBANY MARCHING BAND
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:20 am 
I realize that this post is going to upset many people as I am being critical of a sacred cow that being a school's marching band but from what I have seen at New Albany this fall there are comments that need to be made. I am in no way critical of any student in the band as I am sure they are great kids and put time into the band. However there are things that I see that concern me.

I counted 33 members dressed and marching at the Jennings game. That means that less than 2% of a student body of over 2000 are in the band. My high school had 200 students and we had over 40 in the band. At half time the band marched single file at an extremely slow pace and played one short song and then slowly marched off.

At the Madison game 20 members were in uniform and the other 15 or so were dressed in red tee shirts. The 20 in uniform slowly marched out on the field in single file and when the homecoming queen candidates were announced began quietly playing the school song. The other 15 members casually walked down the track next to the stands and with their backs to the conductor and in no type of a formation started to play. After the queen was selected the members on the field marched slowly of the field with the only the school song being played. Were the students in tee shirts suspended from marching or why were they even there? My wife who has extensive experience as a member of a top high school and college marching band had never seen anything like this before.

I maybe wrong as I did not get to the games in time for a pregame show but I have only heard the band play the national anthem, the school song and one other song. It seems that any band should be able to be able to play more music than just three songs.

When I go to the games I enjoy the atmosphere of watching young people have a good time whether being an athlete, cheerleader, musician or fan. With what I have seen from the New Albany band I wonder if these students are having a fun and productive learning experience.

PS: The Madison cheerleaders were outstanding and the school can be very proud of them.

Post subject: Re: NEW ALBANY MARCHING BAND
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:39 pm 
From the board meeting last night it looks like the administration at New Albany High School is looking into this issue and will make changes.