It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sibbitt out at Austin
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:56 am 
All-Star

It became official at a board meeting early Monday morning.That makes 6 coaches Austin has hired ,since the spring of 95 ,and 6 coaches they have fired.

I hope I'm wrong about this but it appears they will hire a friend of the AD's and this hiring process is just a charade.If they do have a legitimate process and hire someone outside the school system and not associated with the AD this could be a good opportunity for an up and coming coach.If all their players return next year they could have a very good team.If the new coach knows what the heck he's doing he could have a successful season and parlay that success into a better job and get the heck out of town while he can.

Post subject: Re: Sibbitt out at Austin
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:54 pm 
MVP

Hire Anthony Winchester as a player/ coach??? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:28 am 
All-Star

People with far more knowledge than I have...Please explain the situation in Scott County. There was a time...when Scottsburg and Austin both had good solid programs.... in both Boys and Girls Basketball. In your opinion, what has happened and is there a light at the end of the tunnel for the fans of these two schools?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:57 pm 
All-Star

voiceofreason wrote:
People with far more knowledge than I have...Please explain the situation in Scott County. There was a time...when Scottsburg and Austin both had good solid programs.... in both Boys and Girls Basketball. In your opinion, what has happened and is there a light at the end of the tunnel for the fans of these two schools?

Scottsburgs girls have been ok but not great.They just haven't produced the talent the past 20 years like they did in the 70s,80s and early 90s.I have no idea why.It looks like things will get worse next season.

Scottsburg boys are similar to the girls.The program,for whatever reason,just doesn't produce the talent they use to.It seems like they have a decent class every other year but can't put 2 or 3 good classes in a row together.I don't see any hope with this program any time soon.

Austin's girls haven't been bad.The problem they've had the past few years is a lack of size.Like Scottsburgs girls they are going to take a serious downturn next year and the future isn't very bright from what I've seen.

Austin boys situation is a bit more complicated.They have had talent the past 6 or 7 years but most of that talent hasn't made it to their junior and senior years.One transferred,one was kicked off,several have quit to concentrate on other sports,several have just quit and one has missed 2 years with an ACL injury.Alot of the talent that stuck around has been underused or misused.One problem I had with Sibbitt is, IMO, that he didn't appreciate pure,physical ability.It was like it was a negative if you were long and could run and jump.He did ok with the 1,2 and 3 positions but he screwed the 4 and 5 positions up every year he was there.Add to this the coaching situations have been dysfunctional.One could write a book on the coaching hirings and firings the past 20 years.It's like a soap opera.Most of the things that have gone on I can't even mention on this site.As far as a light at the end of the tunnel goes,this program has a 2-3 year window to be pretty good.That is if they hire a coach that will put the best players and best athletes on the court.After that 2-3 year period it's going to be rough for awhile.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:22 pm 
All-Star

Just a few more things and I'll leave or try to leave it alone til they hire a coach.

Like I've said before I have nothing against the school board and they are all good people.I just don't like the way they went about firing Sibbitt.One reason given was he cussed too much.Did he just start cussing this year?Of course not.So why did it suddenly become a problem when it wasn't the previous 4 years?They just wanted him out and have for over a year,so they brought in some parents to gripe and complain just to give them cover to fire the guy.I predicted they would do this because it's their modus operandi.I have no problem with him being fired but it should be done the correct way.I posted a pro Sibbitt message on here a few weeks ago because I knew he was going to get railroaded and that wasn't fair.I could also argue the anti Sibbitt point of view that would give a legitimate reason for him being fired that only deals with basketball.It would deal with facts,stats and common sense with no emotion involved at all.That's what should have been done but there is no one on the board or in the administration capable of doing that.It's all about emotion and how they feel.That;s why they mess up so many boys coaching hires and firings.

That's over so time to move on and look ahead.

to be continued.....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:12 pm 
All-Star

The chances are highly likely the new coach will be a hire from the inside.I am strongly against that.It's nothing against their coaching abilities..It's because they know too many people and have too many friends and will feel obligated to play their friends kids or the kids they are closer to.This will lead to disaster.They tried this before a few years ago and it didn't work for the reasons I explained.

If one of these men that are already at Austin could promise they would put their top 7 players and athletes on the court and not go 8,9,10 deep and sub all the time then I would support that person.I have asked this question over and over but nobody has ever given me an answer.What is the positive in playing more than 7 players in a HS basketball game?The number 1 rule in coaching should be "don't ever do anything that will benefit the opposing team".If you play your 8th,9th or even 10th man aren't you just helping the opposing team?Plus you can't get in the flow of a game,either individually or as a team,if you are constantly substituting players in and out.

Also.I would love if Austin could have a boys coach that would put his best players on the court every game.Since the 05-06 season it's only happened in the 08-09 and 09-10 seasons. It drives me crazy.It's not that hard to do.It's 2017 they have these things called stats and video that allow you to evaluate the players.I get so sick and tired of watching kids that don't do anything statistically(except lower the teams FG %) and couldn't guard me getting to play 28 minutes a game while we have 6'5 kids with long arms on the JV team or kids that are undersized but will battle you tooth and nail sitting on the bench.Why is this so hard?If a person knows how to use stats properly,knows what to look for on video and has a little bit of common sense it's simple.

Hopefully they can get someone that knows who his best players are and allows them to play.However,I'm not holding my breath.

I'll finish by saying the board and administration needs to determine if they want the program to be successful or if they want it to be like biddy ball where everyone plays and has fun?Do they hire a coach that wants to win,has a tremendous passion for the game and is willing to put in the time and effort it takes to have a successful program(like our baseball coach) or do they just stick someone in the position because they like them?Are they hiring a coach or someone to be everybodies buddy?I guess we will soon find out how serious they are about basketball.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:33 am 
All-Star

Have heard a few rumors but not sure how accurate they are so I won't get specific.There wasn't a huge number of applicants but if the rumors are true there are a couple of candidates that could potentially be very good hires.

I have heard from several sources that Austin has yet to start lifting/open gym.I realize they don't have a coach but you would think someone in the administration would step up and find someway to have open gym for the kids.Maybe there is a legitimate reason(not excuses) why they can't have it.