It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Your Team
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:54 am 
MVP

uncranger wrote:
As far as the Regional , I'm sure will see Bloomington South , & Center Grove for sure . The team that comes out of E'ville will be a mystery ?

NA should have a pretty deep backcourt , which is good because they will have to find some scoring to replace Hibbard . One player won't be able to do it but perhaps ( East , Stevenson , Stanton , Southers , & Starks if he gets a chance can all step up to replace him . Tough to replace a 4 year starter & leader though but will see what happens ?

BS should have a great shot at returning to Regionals for 2 reasons: 1. Their sectional opponents seemed to be pretty submissive to their dominance already and Musa Jallow' s early departure should render their city rival a complete non-threat. I'll admit I'm not very familiar with Columbus North, but I am aware that they've lost to BS the last 6 times they've played, including a 3-piece helping of L' s this past season. 2. BS is an exceptionally well-coached team that brings back a D-1 player in Chance Coyle and a talented group of underclassmen led by Anthony Leal, who looked about as good as any of the freshmen at Regional last season despite his team's demolition at the hands of Castle. I've already shared my feelings regarding CG on this thread so I'll leave that, and I think we pretty much all agree that Evansville is up for grabs at the 4-A level, unless a dissenter sits silently in our midst.
I have never made my admiration for Hibbard's offensive skills a secret, but I would think that if East efficiently expands his usage in Hibbard's absence and all 4 of those other guys you mentioned increase their offensive output then NA would more than account for the loss of Hibbard's scoring, although pure shooting might take a hit. It's replacing his secondary (and sometimes primary) ballhandling that might be a bigger concern, as I can't say I'm sure that Shannon particularly wants to have East and Stanton on the floor at the same time too often and none of NA' s other guards aside from Romeo have been asked to handle the ball a lot. Maybe Romeo will see his ballhandling duties increase a bit, but that's largely dependent upon Hourigan earning some heavy PT. Not to be a douche, but Hibbard was a 3-year starter, although he played a lot by the end of his freshman year so I see where the confusion comes from.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:42 am 
Legend

I think Floyd will be better offensively this year. Their defense won them many games last year. But I think you will see more offense from them this season. I think Gohmann could end up being a premier scorer. Barnes can score but he's more of a Swiss army knife here and at the next level. Shireman and Winchell are both really good outside shooters that will get more looks this season.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:15 pm 
All-Star

Yeah , that was a major typo . I knew Hibbard was a 3 year starter & what I needed to say was 4 year player not 4 year starter .

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:20 pm 
All-Star

uncranger wrote:
Peckinpaugh ... resigned in the offseason .

I also learned recently that Carmel head coach Scott Heady took the job at Marian University, so there has to be some doubt about the Greyhounds as well.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:07 pm 
MVP

Just listened to Jim Shannon's Hoosier Report interview that he did today and he said a few things that might shed some light on how NA's squad will be set up this coming season.

Perhaps most notably, he seemed to indicate that NA will be counting on Hourigan to crack the starting lineup this season. That's not a big surprise, but he didn't get to play much during the summer due to injury so it wasn't totally clear how he fit into the operation. This should give NA some pretty nice size in the starting lineup, with Hourigan standing at around 6'6, Hunter at around 6'4 and Romeo at about 6'5. Shannon mentioned that this should be an "excellent" rebounding team and that's not hard to imagine.

He also mentioned that there is competition for spots 6 through 8 and specifically named Southers, Stanton, McGee and Starks as players that will be competing, presumably for the opportunity to provide depth behind the starting 5 of Romeo, East, Stevenson, Hunter and Hourigan.

Southers and Stanton played a lot when healthy last season, so their presence in the rotation seemed like a given, but I was glad to hear him mention Starks by name because he really impressed me with his wide range of skills over the summer and I've been hoping that he'll get an opportunity to play.

I was a little surprised to hear him mention McGee by name because he didn't seem to play quite as much as the other guys mentioned during the games I watched over the summer, but I thought he did some nice things when he did play- he's got the strongest body on the team, that's for sure, and he's actually got some touch, too. If he does play significant minutes then that would be huge, not only because he's NA's only big body off the bench, but also because Shannon isn't going to give him regular minutes if he's just a big kid who isn't ready to play- he showed that during the entire 2015-16 season when no post players off the bench played much at all, and again last season when Short spent most of the meaningful minutes on the bench.